Themed reading is one of my favorite things! I love to search Pinterest lists and my library for books on specific topics, seasons, or holidays. I am always on the look out for GOOD children’s books, especially ones that fit a theme. There is something special about bringing out a stack of books that you only read once a year or that you can pair with a fun festive themed snack! Check out my post HERE that has some fun themed snacks that would pair perfectly with these books.
Today I’m sharing our favorite school themed books that are perfect for August and the back to school season. Some of these books I have shared before, and a few are new favorites. Some are specific to the school, but some are just great books for this time of year because they cover topics such as friendship, making mistakes or fitting in. Since we homeschool there are lots of back to school books that we don’t connect with, but we have filled our list of favorites with books that seem to work for any school situation, plus I have found a couple that are specific to homeschooling.
Grab a few titles at the library and enjoy a little school themed reading session!
- Eraser by Anna Kang- A fun book about the importance of the eraser, and how mistakes are part of the learning process.
- When Pencil Met Eraser by Karen Kilpatrick- All about teamwork this book is a cute reminder about working together.
- The Crayon Man by Natascha Biebow- I love a good biography and this one is a fun look at the man who created the Crayola crayon.
- We Don’t Eat our Classmates by Ryan T Higgins- This book cracks us up! A hilarious story about a dinosaur who makes a bad first impression when she eats her classmates!
- Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes- A classic Kevin Henkes book all about embracing what makes you unique and special.
- The Invisible Boy by Trudy Ludwig- This book was one of my favorites from my days as a school counselor. I love how the illustrator really brought the story to life as you watch a boy go from feeling invisible to being part of the class.
- Peanut Butter and Cupcake by Terry Border- Terry Border is so creative, we love how he uses real food items to tell a story and always includes a few clever lines. This story is a perfect book about the importance of persistence when making new friends.
- You’re my Little Bookworm by Nicola Edwards- We have several of these board books and my youngest and I enjoy reading them. They are short, sweet and a little cheesy!
- The Smart Cookie by Jory John- You can’t go wrong with Jory John. His food group books are all a hit at our house. This smart cookie edition highlights the importance of finding what special strengths or talents you have.
- If I Built a School by Chris Van Duesen- An imaginative look at a school dreamed up by a little boy that will leave you want to dream up your own crazy school!
- Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon by Patty Lovell- This fun story is a funny and a little wacky while reminding us to be proud of who we are!
- If You Take a Mouse to School by Laura Numeroff- We love the If You Give a Mouse a Cookie series, and couldn’t pass up the tale of taking the mouse to school.
Here are a couple of back to school books that are specific to homeschooling. I love to read the first two on the first day of school…my older boys think they are too old, but I do it anyway! I’m excited to read the last one as soon my library hold comes through!
These books would be fun to read before school starts, or throughout the first few weeks of school!
Here is a free download of the list to help with placing library holds!
Do you have a favorite school themed book? I would love to check it out- please share below!