Where did August go? I have no idea. We kicked off our second year of homeschool, and that has kept me pretty busy. We starting to find a groove as we slide into September. I really like the month of September and all that it brings with it. I always look forward to the weather cooling off and lots of fun adventures outside. Here’s your month round-up of holidays and feast days to celebrate, ideas for family activities, books to read, recipes to try and a way to show a little kindness to those around you.
Days to Celebrate
- September 1- National Letter Writing Day- Right out of the gate a great activity to do this month. There is something so special and endearing about sending and receiving a handwritten note. Take a second and write a letter to someone you love!
- September 5- National Cheese Pizza Day- Cheese is a fan favorite over here, and I never turn down a festive opportunity to hit the easy button on dinner!
- September 6- Labor Day
- September 12- National Milkshake Day- Sunday feels like the perfect day to make/grab milkshakes as a family!
- September 16th- National Guacamole Day- This might be a day just for me, as I’m the only guac lover in the house, but I’m not missing out!
- September 18- National Rice Krispy Treat day- Such an easy treat to make with kids, we love them around here.
- September 22- First Day of Fall- Might be my very favorite day of the year! Of course, it rarely feels like fall on the first day of fall, but we still celebrate it’s official arrival with our Welcome Fall party.
- September 26- Johnny Appleseed Day- The perfect day for apple picking or apple munching!
- September 28- Drink Beer Day- Obviously, one for the adults, where are my beer drinkers? Pass me a hard cider!
- September 29- National Coffee Day- If beer isn’t your drink of choice just wait a day, perhaps coffee is your drink of choice.
Memories to Make
– Have a Welcome Fall Party: One of our favorite fall traditions, welcome the new season with a little celebration. We love to make a few fall inspired treats and play fall bingo, if the weather is nice (aka not HOT we sometimes go on an adventure to the pumpkin patch or a nature trail.
– Go Apple Picking: Are there apple orchards in your area? When we lived in Oklahoma I couldn’t find any, but here in Kansas it’s a fun outing to hit up the orchard each year. My boys especially love the apple cider donuts.
– Have a Game Night: As the evenings begin to cool off it’s the perfect time to spend a little quality time playing games as a family.
– Make a bird feeder. A fun nature themed craft for your feathered friends. Check out this post for a some DIY bird feeder ideas.
– Go on a nature walk. The start of a new season is the perfect time to go on a nature walk and observe the signs of the new season. Here is a fun Fall nature walk checklist.
Books to Checkout
There are so many great fall books to dig into this season! Here are a couple of our favorites that you might enjoy.
Check out this post from last year with more of our favorite fall books!
Spread Some Love
This month take a second to send a card or letter to someone that you think might need a little encouragement, or just to say I’m thinking of you.
A Treat to Share
One of our favorite fall treats to make is caramel apples. They are a little intimidating, but I’m going to keep at it until I master them! Here’s a recipe to try, or cut some apples and do a caramel apple bar like this! Enjoy with a good read aloud or as an after school snack.
There are also some really fun feast days to celebrate this month. Here are a few that I hope to include in our observations/celebrations this month.
Grab your downloads here:
Praying you have a blessed September and get to enjoy all that it has to offer!