Here we are again, at the start of another new month. Of course, we kick off July celebrations early with the Fourth of July, but the fun doesn’t stop there! July is National Ice Cream month and there are several other fun little holidays to observe! It always feels like summer is slipping away by the time we reach July, so I love to squeeze in a few fun activities here and there.
Days to Celebrate
- July 4th- USA Birthday
- July 11th- National Blueberry Muffin Day
- July 18th- National Ice Cream Day
- July 20th- National Moon Day
- July 23rd- National Hot Dog Day
- July 23rd- Olympics Opening Ceremony
There aren’t too many feast days this month that we have personal connections to, but these two jumped out at me as Saints we might learn more about this month.
- July 14th- St. Kateri Tekakwitha
- July 26th- St. Anne
Memories to Make
- Throw an opening ceremonies party! We have done for the last few Olympics, and it is a lot of fun. A few Olympic themed snacks and you’re all set. We enjoy watching the countries walk in, and get excited for the games to officially begin. This year the opening ceremony will broadcast in the US on July 23rd at 7 am ET and will rebroadcast at 7:30 pm ET that night.
- Have a family Olympics. Come up with a list of events and enjoy a little friendly competition. The sillier the events the better…try hula hoop or the frog style long jump!
- Celebrate Ice Cream. There is no wrong way to celebrate ice cream! Read some ice cream themed books (here’s a list), make some ice cream art (like one of these), head to a local ice cream joint or have a taste test with a few pints from the grocery store. You could even make it a competition and see who could come up with the best original ice cream flavor!
- Go on a moon walk. With July 20th being National Moon Day, it’s the perfect excuse to learn about the moon and go for a moon walk. The next full moon is on July 23rd, which would be the perfect night to observe the moon! Here are more moon books and activities to check out.
Books to Checkout
- Ordinary Mary’s Extra Ordinary Deed– A sweet story of how one simple act of kindness can inspire a wave of kindness. Perfect for blueberry muffin day.
- G is for Gold Medal– A fun read to get you in the Olympic spirit.
- The Little Ice Cream Truck– Part of a series of truck books, my boys love the ice cream truck book.
- History of Fun Stuff: The Scoop on Ice Cream– We love this series and learning the history of some of our favorite things!
- I Took the Moon for a Walk– This book is a perfect read before taking a little moon walk.
Spread Some Love
This month is the perfect month to treat someone else to a sweet ice cream treat. We love to buy treats to put in a cooler and drive around to our friends! You could also pay for someone’s scoop behind you at a shop, send a gift card in the mail or host an ice cream social for friends and family.
Treat to Share
Homemade blueberry muffins would be perfect this month, I’m going to give this recipe a try. I’m definitely on the hunt for a go-to blueberry muffin recipe.
Here is the free Celebrating July download
Cheers to a wonderful July!